News and Events Relating to the Church


"WOODLEIGH is a parish and small agricultural village, with a station in the parish, on the Kingsbridge branch of the South Devon section of the Great Western railway, and is 3½ miles north from Kingsbridge, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Stanborough, petty sessional division of Stanborough and Coleridge, Kingsbridge union and county court district, rural deanery of Woodleigh, archdeaconry of Totnes and diocese of Exeter. The church of St. Mary is an ancient edifice of stone, in the Perpendicular style. . . . the church plate includes a silver flagon presented by Lady Amy Fortescue in 1686, weighing 4 pounds 12 ounces, which has the Fortescue and Courtenay arms emblazoned upon it: the church was thoroughly restored in 1891 at a cost of £1,200, under the direction of Mr. G. H. Fellowes Prynne, architect: there are 170 sittings. The register dates from the year 1635. . . . The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and pasture. The area is 2,646 acres of land and 9 of water; rateable value £2,313; the population in 1901 was 198." [From: Kelly's Directory of Devonshire, 1902]

2/6/10: Read the report into the condition of the bells at St. Mary the Virgin Church.